Wednesday 12 December 2012

Breastfeeding Your Baby to Sleep...What's the Big Deal?!


The Milk has a new website! Please head over to www.themilkmeg.com to check it out! 




I remember a dear friend of mine who had a baby a few months after me.  This was way back in time (when I was still young and fresh and had only one grey hair instead of seven) about five years ago. We hung out quite a bit and realized quickly that we mothered our babies very differently!  As I sat there breastfeeding my baby to sleep, she would rock and jiggle and burn off the breakfast she just ate, trying to get her baby to sleep.  She (among many other women out there) went with the "do not let your baby fall asleep at the breast" concept that has been floating around out there for many years.  I have one question....

Where did this concept come from?! Who thought of this in the first place?! I'd like to have a word with them...

Believe me, for all of you out there who have "trained" your baby to fall asleep on their own.  I understand your frustration. I understand why this was your answer.  I understand how difficult the whole sleep issue can be!  I just have a different perspective...

First let's look at normal infant behaviour...

To continue reading, head over to themilkmeg.com

4 comments:

  1. I've been tossing this around for the last few months myself and STILL breastfeed my 14 month old to sleep most of the time. More due to the fact that she's dead beat by the time she has a feed. She can also go to sleep on her own but it's more rare these days. I love breast feeding and will do it until she's ready to stop ... up to a "reasonable" age ... I just keep asking myself how is this going to happen and will I have to get to a certain point where there will be crying.
    My question to you is how old were your boys when they stopped breastfeeding and how did you go about it? How did they take it? Also, did you put them onto cow's milk or something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brig! Thanks so much for your comment. Sorry about the delay in my reply, pre-Christmas and Christmas craziness in my house is finally over! That's wonderful to hear that you are breastfeeding your 14 month old to sleep. It's a quiet relaxing time you can spend with her. I have written a blog post on weaning toddlers but much of this information will apply to you even though she is only 14 months old. Weaning gently takes time and patience and involves two steps forward and one step back. You can continue to meet her needs as well as your own without weaning being stressful! You can also wean her partially (take out a few nursing sessions here or there) without weaning her completely. It does not have to be all or nothing :) Have a look at my post here,

      http://themilksunshinecoast.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/boobie-baby-turned-boobie-toddler.html?m=1

      Delete
  2. Good stuff Meg! I completely agree and battle with opposing views every day. Its refreshing to see some sense written out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bethany!! Thanks for your comment :) There are so many different parenting views out there. The most imprtant thing is to trust your instincts and ignore all of the "advice" out there if it doesn't feel right for you or your baby!

    ReplyDelete